Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tortilla Soup



Cooking the new house has been great and also a bit of an adventure.

Great because I'm really enjoying all of the new to me that is the kitchen.

An adventure because just when I think I've unpacked and put away all of my tools and pantry items, I reach for something that is so not there.  Like with the cornstarch I swore I had last night until I reached for it and remembered running out of it before we moved AND decided to wait until we moved to buy more.  Too bad I didn't remember that until I absolutely needed it.  

Yeah, that was fun.

Or not.



On top of that, we've been so busy getting the house together that it hasn't left much time to think about, much less spend time shopping for or prepping a meal.  

That's where this soup comes in.  It comes together so easily (you can even use leftover chicken), is so packed with flavor and is just the right amount of spicy that it warms you through on a cold winter day, so perfectly.  




print recipe

Tortilla Soup
A fresh and comforting tomato-based soup that's perfect on a cold winter day.
Ingredients
  • 1 small onion - chopped
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1-2 jalapeno(s) - minced
  • 1-2 Tbsps extra virgin olive oil
  • 4 cups chicken or turkey stock
  •     1 liter or 1 large can whole roma tomatoes - chopped
  •     2 limes - juiced
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded chicken
  • 3 soft corn tortillas
  • canola oil for frying
  • cilantro (for garnish)
  • avocado (for garnish)
Instructions
1. In an 8 quart saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and minced jalapeno and cook until soft and fragrant, approx 5 minutes. 2. Add in the minced garlic and cook for another 2 minutes, being careful not to let the garlic brown. Add the stock, chopped tomatoes and lime juice. Cook until simmering, then add in the shredded chicken and let simmer until the chicken is heated. 3. In another sauce pan, heat 1-2 inches of canola oil over medium heat to approx 375F. While the oil heats, cut the tortillas into strips. Drop the strips in the heat oil and fry for 2-3 minutes until crispy. Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and reserve on a paper towel lined plate.4. Serve the soup in a deep bowl and garnish with crispy tortilla strips, chunks of avocado and cilantro.
Details
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: serves 4-6

Now that I don't have to worry about not repeating recipes this year, I think I may have to make this one again.  The leftovers are perfect for lunches too!

What do you make when you're short on time but want a fresh and delicious dinner?

No comments: